lunes, 13 de julio de 2009

RSClef32

Rojas is smiling at Cagnazzo who´s smiling back at him as he squeezes his elbow conspiratorially. They´re speaking rapidly and quietly as I approach up the steps at the front of the building. Despite the breeze I´m a mess. Cagnazzo lifts his head to look at me and then returns his attention to Rojas who´s talking. As I catch a few words it seems that Cagnazzo has managed to seduce Rojas with his political and judicial connections and make it all look like a favor he´s doing for Rojas. Will Caranzo squeeze him later? Or was that all a show to keep us scared and in our place? I´m standing a few cautious feet away from the two of them, not sure whether to interrupt. Cagnazzo ignores me for a few minutes more and then Rojas turns quickly towards me as if he´s about to take a swing - a habit of his when he recognizes you.

Aaaaa pibe como te va?
Bien

I don´t feel like saying anything else. Cagnazzo waits another moment and then speaks but to Rojas while gesturing towards me.

Y a ver si el pibe arma bien el sitio de web.

I´m so goddman sick and tired of them calling me pibe - kid. I´m over fifty but I suppose it´s better than gringuito. Obviously the whole plan has been agreed on and I¨m sure that Cagnazzo´s comission is far less than the six figures he tossed around with us at Retiro. I´ll have to sort out the details as best as I can from what they reveal to me.

Tranquilo guapos, esto va salir re bien.

Cagnazzo grins dryly at my attempt to butter them up. I make my exit.

Bueno, voy a subir.
Te veo en dos pibe.

I try not to slam the front door. But I´m angry and hurt. Cagnazzo is letting me know that I´m his office boy now. I´ll see you in two kid. Fucking asshole. It´s cooler and dark in the hallway and I head upstaris quickly so I can shower before Cagnazzo comes to shake me down. He must sense I found something at Kabe´s place. But I have a plan to retain some of it. I need to negotiate and not like some sweaty gringo tourist. I reach the second floor and try our door. It opens and I see Diego´s lean muscular back through the living room sliding doors. He´s out on the balcony puttering with some fan and motor - perhaps a wind turbine. I move quickly to our bedroom where Isa is asleep on the bed with her eyeshades on. I lean close and hear her snoring slightly. Strange, she never naps. I smell her skin to see if Diego´s scent is on it. No, I don´t think so. So I undress, grab a towel and head into the bathroom. Once you´re in the game you have to keep some form of momentum going. I turn on the cool tap and take a quick shower. I hope this plan works. But more than that. Let´s hope Cagnazzo sees me as a useful partner. I have to find a way to earn his respect without provoking a violent confrontation which I´ll lose. The soap slips from my hand and I reach quickly to grab it again. I´m tense. But I might just be in the game.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario